31 Films for Halloween, #17: The Innkeepers (2011)

The Innkeepers (2011) is one of my favorite movies.  It's by Ti West, who has done some better known horror movies since then.

Not a lot happens.  There is some mild comedy, but nothing knee-slapping. 

Because markets (and often audiences) do not like art that does not fit neatly into prescribed categories, this poster makes it seem like a wacky buddy comedy.
It's not.

There are definitely some ... stressful shocks, but I wouldn't call it a particularly scary movie either.  

This poster makes it seem unbearably terrifying.
It's not.

It's short. The stakes are low, with two workers at an inn trying to get some evidence of its supposedly haunted nature before the hotel closes for good, which is happening very soon.

As I said, not a lot happens. And that's why this is one of my favorite movies. That is the POINT of the movie.  It's the movie I always show people who say "Oh, no, I can't watch horror movies!" to show them that there are more types of horror films than they realize.

It's classified, with reason, as a horror movie but I think I feel more comfortable calling it an... anti-horror movie.  You'll understand if you watch it.  

Fair warning: a lot of horror fans hate this film.  Probably for the same reason I love it. Specifically: not a lot happens.  

But that doesn't mean that movie doesn't say a lot. I think a lot of horror fans just don't like what it says.

I'd be curious to hear what you think of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Be Fabulous: Soap

Friendly Cows

Throw This Letter Away