31 Films for Halloween, #12: The Witch in the Window (2018)

 The Witch in the Window (2018) is an intimate little horror film. There are no severed heads, no plunging daggers.  It's mostly a sad story of a man who feels he's failed as a person, a husband, a father, and his attempt to fix that. By fixing an old house for resale with his son.

He picks the wrong time and place, however.

Not all haunted houses are large Victorian mansions, you know.

There is one scene that is ... VERY chilling, indeed.  Despite all the many terrifying scenes I have seen in horror movies, this is one that truly haunts me; "omg, what would I do if I were he at that moment?" 

I think you'll know it when you see it.

But the overall effect of the film isn't so much terror, as it is the sad feeling of inevitability you get from a Greek play.  Horror films can make you feel lots of things, not just scared, and so I recommend this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Be Fabulous: Soap

Friendly Cows

Throw This Letter Away